A client introduced me to Join.Me. He said it’s the easiest screensharing product he’s ever used and he uses it for presenting to clients not as software-savvy as he. It’s touted as ‘ridiculously simple’ to use and it really is. It was introduced in November, 2010 by LogMeIn, a company with a host of remote connectivity products. It works with Windows, Mac, iPhone and iPad via the app store – see image below. Best of all, it’s free—with a pro version with additional features if you’re so inclined.
There is no registration and no download needed for people joining you. On the presenter side, just go to join.me and download the little applet. Open it and you’ll get the small set of controls that pop up at the top of your screen (pictured below). There’s a link that you can copy and paste and send to people right from this screen, or you can send via your email, or you can just tell the person to navigate to join.me and put in the number and they are connected to your desktop.
Features of Join.Me
- free conference call number & access code you can give to all participants (of course, normal phone charges apply) – the pro version capacity is for up to 250 people, not sure about the free version
- chat – since everyone has to type a name in before joining, you’ll see the names and can send private messages during the presentation or send message to all participants – nice
- pause – the large middle button pauses the screen in case the presenter needs to do something on his computer the others don’t need to see
- list of participants – this button shows who all is on the call
- mouse – for giving control to another person on the call (pro feature)
- file exchange – the presenter can share a file with the group
Since there’s no registration on anyone’s part, the little applet has to be downloaded each time you need to use it. The number is a 1-time use number and if you close it down, the session ends and you can’t get back to it, only start a new one.
- ability to schedule a meeting
- get your very own personalized link to share – you get to choose your username
- personalized background – great for promoting your brand with clients
- other features & pricing listed below
- 256-bit encryption (same as banks use, they say) this is for either version of join.me
There’s really no downside to this free software – even internet babes should be able to use it. Try it out soon!